Sunday 22 July 2012

Feeding mum

Since moving away from home, my palate has certainly matured from the young girl who thought my Uncle's Chinese restaurant was as interesting as it got! This Sydney trip, I wanted to show mum around, by taking her to some delicious places to eat and showing off my sister's (the true chef in the family) skills in Jamie's kitchen.

The Fox Hole - Erskine Street, Sydney
Wandering around the city streets, like usual my stomach is telling me it's breakfast time, we pop into one of the first places we see. A quaint, little cafe/pub that holds a couple of tables and chairs and looks like this place would be great for after work drinks.
Probably not the best place for breaking the fast, but my stomach wasn't listening to me at that point.

Stove cooked porridge $7
Warm, thick wholesome goodness to start the day with some caramelised brown sugar
Sadly lacking in liquid to solid ratio, that left me wishing I had asked for much more milk!
This was ok, but think I might come back for their dumpling lunch!

__________________________________

Back to Jamie's Italian
The hype for this place remains massive, the line is long and feels like you are lining up to get into a club, or I imagine this is what it could be like in some fine, New York restaurants.

There is a buzz when you walk in, people fill tables everywhere, you can hear the kitchen staff bashing away at pots and pans... the place is just alive.
We are seated by our friendly waitress, who serves us some bread and olive oil. 
I'm sure the mamma's of the village in Italy would be happy with this, the bread has a thin, crunchy crust and soft fluffy inside which slightly softens when you dip into the amazing olive oil. 
Meat plank $13.50 pp
Pecorino and chilli jam, crunchy beetroot + carrot salad, (mouthwatering) buffalo cheese and cured meats (includes WAGYU) with caper berries!

Osso bucco Milanese $26 
Lamb that falls off the bone (like music to our tastebuds), that has been cooked overnight with tomato, saffron and other herbs. Served on a bed of white silky polenta.
This is a beautiful comfort dish, however I feel it lacks a texture dimension.


Tuscan Wild Boar Sausages $22.50 
An interestingly flavoured meat, not quite gamey like venison but more meaty than meat? Sausages were a little on the dry side, but was saved by the moist minty lentils and tomato salsa.











No comments:

Post a Comment